Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Good Kind of Pride

We were coming home from Newberry on Sunday when Mary Lee noticed an elderly man who had fallen in his driveway, off of the frontage road of the interstate. We got off at the exit (were getting off anyway; Mike and Andrew had spotted a car on the same frontage road, and of course, you HAVE to stop and look at classic Chevelles whenever possible!) and came back about a mile to his home, and he was still on the ground where he had fallen. Mike and Andrew immediately got out of the car and helped him up and to the house, got him inside, and got him settled in his chair. It was a slow process as the man could hardly walk. He really shouldn't have been going out to the road to get the newspaper as it was apparent that he was not quite clear in his thinking. But the sight of Mike and Andrew, helping that stranger up to his porch, made me very, very proud of both of my two men.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat experience! About a year ago I saw an older gentleman in his driveway standing next to his car with his door open, like he was getting out of the car, but I had the feeling that he was frozen. I slowed down and watched him as long as I could see him, but he didn't move. Now that was awkward for me...I was so tempted to stop and inquire if he needed help...I just imagined that he had the Parkinson's lock-up and was unable to move...or was he just talking on the phone, or happily minding his own business. I'll never know because I drove on. Kudos to your family for going the extra mile, literally!

Nog Blog said...

That last comment was me. Having trouble with my google account. Grrrrr...JudyK