Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Letter 2012


Christmas 2012

2012 has proven to be a multi-faceted time for the Mike Bailes family.

Mike and I have had an eventful year.  We went to the College World Series in Nebraska in June to watch the Gamecocks in action – an unplanned but great trip.  Mike is in his 24th year at the nuclear station; I am in my 33rd year of teaching in Christian schools, though now in a slightly different role as an all-English teacher.  I’m brushing up on my grammar skills and it’s a new challenge.  Mike just returned from Canada.  He says this year was the crown jewel of 42 years of deer hunting – it was a trip that will probably never be topped.

Andrew has been traveling all year, first singing with the Promise Trio, and the second half with the Blackwood Quartet.  He has learned much and had many wonderful experiences.  He is now determining if he wants to continue in this long-term, or, if not, what he’d like to do as far as a direction in life.

Mary Lee continues at North Greenville University, doing well in her education classes, and last spring being inducted into the national reading honor society. She could possibly graduate with honors if she stays on course.  She works as an assistant in the administration offices, and they love her there.  She just took a weeklong education and missions trip to Guatemala and had a wonderful time.  Now she’s ready for Christmas break before tackling another semester.

The year has been colored by the loss of Mike’s youngest sister Jane in May.  The verses in Lamentations 3:21-24 have spoken to us many times since then:  “This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.  It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is Thy faithfulness.  The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in Him.”

God bless you in this Christmas season and as we move into 2013.

1 comment:

OCTC-CompLit said...

Hello from Kentucky. We might be related somewhere along the fence row as my family name is Bailes also. My father had a gospel group for 30 years and I sing solos when I can. I'd like to catch up with Andrew Bailes to hear where or who he is singin with or at.
Steve Bailes
Owensboro KY
srbailes@gmail.com