Friday, April 17, 2020

Friday's Fave Five, 4-17-2020

LINK to Friday's Fave Five Host Blog

1. Strawberries are in!!  Mike surprised me with a gallon of fresh ones a few days ago.  I made one of our strawberry cheesecake pies on a pecan crust and it was so good and spring-like.

2. Progress at the farm.  Mike has been down there every day this week, for 8-10 hour days.  He's putting in a gravel walkway and we've had dirt delivered for the foundation of the tractor barn.  That's in addition to several other issues that are being taken care of.  He's been a busy man, but he loves it.  Yesterday I finished all my on-line work by lunchtime, but had several things to do that didn't require internet.  So I ran a couple of errands, went down to the farm, set up a table on the new deck, and got my work done there, watching all the goings-on, and enjoying the beautiful weather.  It was a lovely afternoon.



3. A new lunch idea.  One of the things I'm not supposed to have is pizza - that crust is loaded with carbs.  I've occasionally had it by eating very little crust and mostly eating the toppings.  However, this occurred to me the other day.  These crusts are carb balance tortillas, and the pizza sauce is very low in sugar.  (I didn't know there was such a difference in sugar content of pizza sauces - this is Ragu Hearty.)  Mushroom topping, would have included sausage had I had any browned, and mozzarella cheese.  Of course not as luxuriant as real pizza crust, but a passable substitute.

4. We have blueberries!  These are smaller than they appear, but if things go as planned, we will have more than enough in a few weeks when they ripen.

5. Confidence that our country may begin to open up again soon.  My friend Barbara mentioned prayer for our leaders in her FFF, and I agree with her that they need prayer for great wisdom in this difficult time.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Your strawberry dessert looks very inviting. Sounds like you had a good week. Stay well.

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a lovely week. I love the strawberry dessert and the new blue berries you have! Your farm looks like a lovely place to spend time. Hope you have a good weekend.

Karen said...

That pie looks and sounds delicious:) It's fun seeing the progress on your farm. It looks like beautiful weather there, too. Enjoy your weekend!

Barbara Harper said...

That strawberry cheesecake looks so good! Unfortunately we have one allergic to nuts and two allergic to strawberries. I really miss strawberry shortcake. If I were your neighbor, I'd look for an excuse to drop by....:-)

It's nice the property is close enough to visit for an afternoon. Your husband sounds like mine--happiest when he has a project. Are you planning to retire there some day?

I'm concerned about jumping the gun too soon with opening things back up--but also concerned about the economy in general and out-of-work families in particular with so many businesses closed. Then I keep hearing conflicting reports of what's best and don't know who to believer. I'm glad it's not my decision to make and that we can pray for those involved.

Jerralea said...

Sounds like an enjoyable afternoon at the farm! I love sitting in sunshine.

Your strawberry pie looks so yummy and springy!

Susanne said...

That pie looks delicious. Care to share a recipe? Have you ever tried a cauliflower crust for pizza. I've seen recipes floating around on pinterest for that. That is a lot of hard work going on at your farm which I'm sure will be enjoyed when it is all done!

Faith said...

Cauliflower crust for pizza is excellent if you need to watch your bad carbs intake. Also white pizza is healthier than red sauce. We found this out after hubby had his heart attack. You just drizzle olive oil over the crust and add whatever cut up veggies you like plus your cheese. Yummy!!!
I'm allergic to strawberries AND cream cheese believe it or not but your pie looks so pretty!! Love that color for spring.

How fun to work outside on your porch on a nice day.

Enjoy the week!

Willow said...

Yes, I read every label. You'd be shocked to find out how much sugar, salt, oil in so many prepared foods. Now you are making me hungry for pizza!
Yes, we hope our stores can open again. Friends own a gym and they are closed--so hard for the small businesses. And, yes, let's pray for our leaders to be wise.
I love hearing all about the farm!