Friday, January 15, 2021

Friday's Fave Five, 1-15-2021

 


LINK to Friday's Fave Five host blog - Susanne's Space

I haven't done this in quite awhile.  Seems like all of a sudden Fridays are over and I haven't done a FFF.  But this week - in the after-throes of Covid, I have time to do this.

1. I am so thankful to have gotten through this without any pneumonia or having to go to the hospital.  Many prayers went up from many people that that would be the case.  I have a history of bronchitis and pneumonia (3x), so in many ways was a prime candidate for complications from Covid.  After two weeks of being confined to my bedroom (for the most part), I don't think I'm contagious anymore - but the main difficulty now is fatigue.  And it is a wrenching fatigue.  When it hits, there is nothing to be done but get to a chair or bed and take a nap.  Now.  But I have four more days with nothing I have to do but recuperate.

2. Very grateful for a dear friend who is available to substitute for me in a situation like this.  She taught for me when I had major surgery three years ago.  She is flexible and she is willing, and she does a good job.  And my dear friend who is also a colleague was right at her side, helping with the classes she did not know as much about.  That is a huge blessing to know that my classes are well cared for during these two weeks.

3. Mike has taken super care of me (from six feet away of course), and has not gotten sick.

4. My mom has brought us some food and we have also used restaurant carry-out several times.  So we've eaten well.

5. And this book came this week.  So glad to have had the opportunity to read it.  Elisabeth Elliot is a hero of mine, and it's always a pleasure to read anything new and well researched.  I wasn't completely sold on it, and reviewed it on Goodreads as well as copying it to this blog.  But reading it was a bright spot in a very, very quiet week.


I hope anyone reading this is spared this awful virus.  It is weird and it is unpredictable and it is rough.  I am once again very grateful to have come through relatively unscathed.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, Ann, I'm so sorry that you were taken down by this awful virus. I'm glad you are on the road to recovery and pray that you'll continue to feel better each day. God bless all those who have helped you through.

Wendy said...

Sorry to hear you have been unwell but glad you managed to stay at home and are now recovering. I hope you can continue to take it easy and don't have to rush back to work too soon.

Barbara Harper said...

So glad you're on the mend and didn't have to go to the hospital. And that Mike hasn't gotten sick. That is great to have folks willing and able to substitute like that. How wonderful that your mom brought food and you had gift cards you could use.

I had mixed emotions when I heard someone was writing a biography of EE. And I am having mixed emotions as I read it. But I am glad for it, too, and enjoying delving into her life again. Much of this early part of her life I am already familiar with through her other writings, though this book does include some new things. But I'm looking forward more to the next installment.

Willow said...

Oh Ann! I am glad you are recovering well! It is a blessing to have all that help at school and home. Just rest!
My son's family has been with covid. All are recovering ok, but they tell me that the exhaustion (and headaches) are hard.
Take care!

Faith said...

Oh my goodness!! So very sorry to hear you have Covid. I do know that it's a horrible virus for some or just a mild cold like thing for others. I've just been lifted from Quarantine (a sub therapist came to our school with NO Symptoms yet tested positive so 2 of our 3 special ed prek rooms all had to quarantine the last 10 days). thankfully none of us have it!

It's good that your mom is bringing you meals and that you can order out. A huge blessing!

Nice to have a friend who can substitute teach! So your classes didn't have to quarantine since you tested positive???? you do here in NY...if any staff or teacher, therapist, bus driver etc is positive the entire classroom that has contact with that person must quarantine. Sure wish all the states had the same rules.....maybe then it would start dying out!

Get well and have a restful weekend

Anonymous said...

Faith - I got sick on New Year's Eve. So I hadn't been around my classes for two weeks. That part worked out well. :-) --Ann

Susanne said...

Sorry to hear that you were sick with Covid! Sounds like you are recovering well though and praise God that you didn't get any major complications. Wonderful that you had meals made and ordered taking that stress off. Continue to get well!