Friday, January 17, 2020

Friday's Fave Five, 1-17-2020

LINK to Friday's Fave Five Host Blog

1. Last Friday night I was taking up $$ at the homecoming basketball games, and this little sweetie stayed on my lap for over half an hour.  A couple of cookies from the bake sale helped, but she was just as happy as could be.  I hope her mother enjoyed having a break, and I certainly enjoyed having that precious girl on my knee for that time.

 2. I got published this past week.  :-)  I was asked to write an article for local birdwatchers for a local paper, and felt that this came out pretty well.  The illustration is from our own feeder.  It was fun to do and fun to see in print.

3. Mike finally got his truck back.  This is him in the place where we stopped to eat after going to the body shop.  He had "dinged" his new truck while working at the farm, and so for the past few days he's been driving my car while the truck was being repaired.  It's actually worked out fine, as I haven't really needed my car too much - but I do love my independence!!

4. A good few days in one of my classes.  We've been reading Cyrano de Bergerac together, and we are really enjoying it - so much that several days they've actually expressed disappointment that class was over.  Now, that happens v-e-r-y rarely with high school students, so I've got to take great advantage of it when it does!

5. My project.  I am absolutely loving this.  Someone gave some $$ to our school library, and I have been given the privilege of spending it.  (This may have been mentioned in a previous post.)  I am pulling old books, replacing some of them, and getting new ones, for all ages.  My dad is a huge help in that he takes the new paperbacks and reinforces them so that they will last longer.  It is starting to take shape and is very rewarding to get the library in shape for the next few years of students.

And - we get a 3-day weekend starting tonight.  Wonderful!!

8 comments:

Willow said...

Oh yes! An extra day on Monday! Enjoy!
Congrats on getting that article published; it's quite an accomplishment.
That sweet little one looks content sitting there.
Happy (extra long) weekend to you!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello - great post. As a high school teacher, I get how satisfying it is when the students express enjoyment at what we are doing. You are right - it doesn't happen a lot. You have a fun job updating your school library. I hope you have a good weekend!

Barbara Harper said...

Congratulations on being published in the newspaper! It's nice to have both vehicles operational again. That's so neat that the students are enjoying Cyrano so much! I wish it had been taught when I was in school. I only read it in the last couple of years. How fun to buy books for your school library.

Jerralea said...

congrats on getting your article published! That's a big deal!

Holding little ones is always a sweet blessing.

Every time my hubby takes my car for some reason, I immediately feel I need my wheels to do this or that! Guess I'm spoiled ...

Anytime you can engage high-schoolers, it is special!

Wendy said...

Congratulations on the article. So rewarding for teachers when students clearly appreciate you. Enjoy spending the library money and having an extra day this weekend.

Karen said...

How nice that you and your dad are working on the library project together. And what a treat to get to pick out all those books.

I'm sure the mom of that cute little one really appreciated a little break.

Congrats on getting your article published!

Faith said...

congrats on your newspaper article!! I love watching the birds at our feeder.

Yay for the high school students loving their reading time. Rare these days I'm sure.

That's nice of your dad to help you with your library project.

I'm assuming that cutie pie is a grandchild on your knee? She's adorable!!

happy long weekend

Susanne said...

Aww what a little cutie to keep you company! How fun to get to spend money for books. I'm sure all will appreciate the refreshed library. Congrats of being published in the paper!