Tuesday, January 28, 2020

The Last Castle by Denise Kiernan

The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest HomeThe Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home by Denise Kiernan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Meticulously researched (54 pages of tiny-print notes at the end) and fascinating read about the building of the Biltmore Estate, as well as the fashioning of it into one of the biggest attractions in the Asheville area and beyond. This book puts the whole endeavor into a historical perspective that reveals its huge impact on the area and across the country. I did find it to be an unintended reflection of the Biblical principle that money alone does not make people happy. The story of Cornelia was the best example of that.
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in historical backgrounds and detailed nonfiction reads. Denise Kiernan's writing is excellent. Her Girls of Atomic City is equally well done.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

That does sound like an interesting book.

Barbara Harper said...

I'm reading this now. I loved The Girls of Atomic City, so I have high hopes for this one as well.