Friday, January 31, 2020

Friday's Fave Five, 1-31-2020


1. A new mattress!!  We got our king-sized bed a little over a year ago, and have never been comfortable with the mattress.  First it was way too high, and we had to exchange the base for a smaller one.  But the mattress was never quite right.  It was still a little too high, and climbing into it, even for a tall woman like I am, felt like I was going to roll right out.  It just wasn't right.  Well, our son and his wife got one of the mattresses that come rolled into a box and then expand when it's taken out.  We tried it out at their house a few weeks ago, and it was very comfortable.  So last Saturday we took the plunge, got one, and I've loved sleeping on the new mattress.  It was a very reasonable price also.

2. My new bulletin board for my seventh grade life science class.  I thought it turned out nicely, especially considering that I do not have much time these days to do bulletin boards.

3. Our Caesar lunch at school was this Wednesday.  The sophomores in my World Lit class enjoy this every year after we finish reading Julius Caesar.  I had considered quietly skipping it this year, but the students would have none of it.  Notice that they are all wearing "togas" - very colorful ones.  We have Caesar salad, grape drink, Italian creme cake, and pizza from none other than. . . .Little Caesar's.  :-)  It was a good time, and I am thankful for students who want to participate in special activities like this.

4. My dad turned 90 on Wednesday!  We will have a family party this weekend.

5. Just finished reading a good book about the building of the Biltmore castle, and got another book in the mail today - this time a missionary biography.  I'm glad just to have had a little time this week to read!  And thankful for the ability to do so.

5 comments:

Faith said...

Oh i just love your bulletin board!
And what a fun way to wrap up your study of Julius Caesar!! I love it!!

I remember when we upgraded to a new queen sized mattress.....it's the perfect firmness for us and I'm still loving it 10 yrs later!!

I hope you have a restful weekend!

Wendy said...

Oh I wish we could settle on a mattress. We have a fairly new one that hubby agreed on - I sent him out to try and try and try and he insisted it was ok. I like it because it's quite firm but he's not happy with it. Anyway that was a nice list from you. The meal with the students looks fun. Birthday wishes to your Dad and enjoy your celebrations.

Barbara Harper said...

A couple of my kids have gotten those kinds of mattresses. I haven't tried sleeping on them, though. It was amazing to see that little, wrapped-up package expand to a full-sized mattress. I'm glad it works so much better for you.

Nice bulletin board! I did not enjoy doing them in college, but did later on for our church missionary bulletin board.

The Cesar lunch sounds so fun!

Belated happy birthday to your dad! Hope he has a fun party.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Sounds like a good week. I love reading about your teaching adventures, because I am also a high school teacher. I would love to get a new mattress. We got one at IKEA when we moved up here, and it is the most uncomfortable mattresses we have ever had. Maybe will look into getting a new one. Have a great weekend!

Willow said...

I love all those togas! I was trying to figure out what the kids were wearing--duh! Togas! Having the lunch will help them all remember so much more about the play.
There are few things more important than a good mattress! A comfortable bed is one of my 'three great goods in life', the other two being a hot shower and a good cup of coffee.