Monday, February 10, 2020

Mission Possible by Marilyn Laszlo

Mission Possible: The Story of a Wycliffe MissionaryMission Possible: The Story of a Wycliffe Missionary by Marilyn Laszlo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Amazing read. The story of an Indiana girl, Marilyn Laszlo, who goes to Papua New Guinea, and over the course of 20 years translates the Scriptures and introduces Christianity to a pagan tribe. The work was very difficult at first, but as the people began to see the changes that Christianity was bringing to their tribe, they wanted to have God's words "carved on a banana leaf." This lady had to overcome shamans, spirit worship, and witch doctor medicine. The people were illiterate, so they had to be taught to read. She had a series of helpers, including her sister, but she was the one who stayed all those years.

A young Christian couple refused to kill one of their twins even though tradition said the second child would be from the devil (and they named her after Miss Laszlo). When the little girls were toddlers, one was taken in a whooping cough epidemic. At the funeral, hecklers were taunting "We told you so!" But the father, Joel, prayed at the graveside (which was a first in itself): "Papa God, I am not angry. I know our little Marilyn is with you in heaven. You don't make mistakes. Satan is not going to win here. I will not turn my back on you. I will keep believing. You are the Strong One above all things. My little Marilyn is in a better place than here. I think, Papa, you wanted her with you, so I am OK. I am OK, Papa."

And as the author states - this was evidence that the Word of God was being carved, not only on banana leaves, but in the people's hearts.

Highly recommended.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Deb J. in Utah said...

That does sound like an interesting book. Thanks for the review!