Friday, July 30, 2021

Friday's Fave Five, 7/30/2021

 

LINK to Friday's Fave Five host blog

1. Visit yesterday with a precious lady who means a lot to me.  I only get to go visit about once, maybe twice, a year, and with school starting soon it will be awhile.  


2. My room is almost finished.  I went on Monday, put up another bulletin board, and put this assortment of pictures up on my side wall.  Just decided to share the wealth of my bird infatuation with the students this year!!  Maybe one of them will take up the interest.  These are all my photos.


3. We had a mortgage burning at church last Sunday night!!  It took 16 years, but it is paid off.  Mike, as head of the deacons, got to do the honors.  He's in the white shirt.  But the pastor said that Mike is doing it because there's no risk of his hair getting burned in the process.  :-)

4. Our favorite restaurant is open again. We were invited to the "soft" opening recently, and haven't been back since because it's reservation only right now (they are short on staff), and they are mobbed with people wanting to get there again.  They were closed for 15 months due to the moratorium on restaurants imposed in April 2020 due to Covid.  In the interim, they did a lot of refurbishing the tables, chairs, and floors.  We really enjoyed getting their delicious food again.

As you can see, it's right on the lake.  When Mike was working a M-Th job for awhile at the nuclear station, he would get off and meet me there at 7:00 on Thursday.  The restaurant usually wasn't too busy on Thursdays, so we'd get a window booth and just decompress, looking out at the restful lake setting.  So we do like that place.

5. Good summer eating.  We've enjoyed a lot of summer squash, corn, cucumbers, okra, and tomatoes the last few weeks.  Mike will grill some kind of meat on Sunday and we'll eat off it all week, surrounded by good vegetables. If we have to endure these impossibly hot temperatures, at least we can eat well.  :-)

4 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

That isn't Mrs. Hay in the top photo, is it? Glad you got to visit with someone special to you. Nice to have your classroom almost finished. Yay for the church paying off its mortgage! One of my favorite restaurants is on a lake, too. Such a peaceful setting. Glad you got to go to the soft opening.

Faith said...

WOW...I'm still teaching summer school for the special prek kids and you're about to go back for the new school year already!! you really DO live in the south!! We don't go back until Sept 8 and I have from August 14-Sept 7 off. Cannot WAIT to be on vacation.

LOVE your list of faves and your bulletin board of birds. The restaurant on the lake sounds like one I"d like because I love good views. Our restaurants have been open since about March and some were open before that but with reduced numbers allowed in at once. we mostly did take out until May.

Glad you got to visit your friend.

ENJOY the weekend.

Willow said...

I remember those times of getting in to gear for the school year in early August. I love your bird board!
I'm glad your favorite restaurant made it through to open up again. Sweet story of your memories of Thursday dinners out.
Have a good weekend!

Susanne said...

How nice to share your love of birds with your students! Congrats to your church on the mortgage burning. I laughed out loud about the hair not catching fire comment. Love summer vegetables though I have never had okra. It's not really available in my area but maybe some day a restaurant will have it and I can try.