Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A different sort of relationship

Andrew and I drove to Greenville today, to take care of some business at BJU. He needed to meet with his admissions counselor and I took care of a couple of financial matters. Then we went to Haywood Mall and stopped in the food court before going our separate ways to shop for awhile. As we were sitting at the table, eating, Andrew said, "You know, I can't believe I'm doing this. A year ago I'd have died before going out to lunch with my MOM." He's right, he probably would have. But it's nice to have a relationship with an almost-adult son. We can talk about all kinds of things, adult to adult, things I probably wouldn't have talked about with him when he was younger. He has good insights and real questions about things. He has input about things that is valuable, and he also listens better than he used to. He is growing up.

But I still reserve the right to take him out of this life just like I brought him into it. :-)

No comments: