- it uses very few ingredients;
- most of the ingredients can easily be varied;
- you can use up leftovers from your refrigerator; and
- it's ready in half an hour.
The ingredients are:
- 1 package frozen vegetable gumbo mix
- 1 can northern beans, mixed beans, pinto beans, or whatever you have on hand
- browned ground beef - however much you like
- V-8 juice to whatever soup consistency you prefer.
The V-8 juice is critical because it gives a better taste than plain tomato juice. I think the gumbo mix is necessary because the okra in it adds to the soup consistency; however, if you are adamantly against okra I suppose you could use plain mixed vegetables. And if you don't like canned beans, leave them out. When making a lot of soup, use one bag gumbo mix and one bag plain mixed vegetables. Or whatever you like.
Mix in pot; bring to a boil; put burner on low to low-medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, for a half-hour or so. Quick, easy, and it is GOOD.