Friday, September 26, 2014

Friday's Fave Five, 9/26/14

Link to Friday's Fave Five host blog.

1. Great weekend last weekend at a conference in the beautiful NC mountains.  This was a missions conference with the organization that our son is with - but not a typical meeting of that sort.  This is all about the 10-40 window and all the challenges of going to such countries.  The speakers all challenge the thinking of those attending - there are no platitudes at all.  This was our second year to go, and we are always glad to attend and have our thinking stretched.  

2. Only 2 1/2 days of teaching this week.  The calendar said we were supposed to go to the annual teachers' convention this week; however, with several students being withdrawn right at the first of the year, the funds just weren't there for us to go.  So Wednesday afternoon we had security training at school; yesterday we had first aid and CPR training, and today we are off.  However, I got an extra day off due to a bad cold.  I got charged with a sick day, but I had to take it - just did not have the wherewithal to go in.  If you can't go, you can't go.  
And - the extra day off must have worked because I am feeling some better today.  Not all the way better, but some.

3. I am going to have some injections in my knee - some kind of a lubricating substance (WD-40 for the knee?) :-)  that is supposed to help the pain I am still having.  I have to get the shots sent from a specialized pharmacy to the orthopedist's office, and it has to be cleared through insurance, etc., etc., etc. - the typical medical stuff (that is going to get worse as we get more and more into Obamacare).  I got all those phone calls made this morning and got the appointments set up.

4. Had a nice phone call with an old friend that I hadn't talked with for many years.  One of the speakers from the conference is going to be at their midwest church this weekend, and I wanted to tell her about him.  It's amazing with old friends - you just pick up where you left off when you get the opportunity to connect again.

5. And - Mike fixed my elliptical this morning!  It had a problem in the linkage so that it knocked and made a loud sound with each go-around.  Now it is smooth as silk.  He is so good to fix things and I do not take it for granted!!

Quick bonus - just heard that my daughter's good friend, who does my hair, can take me this afternoon. So nice not to have to try to get in after school in the late afternoon!


7 comments:

Faith said...

Sounds like you had a great week despite the headcold. Glad you are on the mend! Have a restful weekend.

Jerralea said...

It's always good when your stylist can work you in sooner - I just got a call myself from mine scheduling me 3 days earlier.

Sorry you weren't able to go to the teacher's convention but maybe it was for the best if you felt bad.

Hope you have a lovely weekend and a great upcoming week.

Paula said...

I'm visiting from FFF and enjoyed reading your faves; a great exercise in looking for the blessings we often take for granted. I'm sorry your conference trip was cancelled, but it sounds like you needed a little rest anyway. Glad you were able to get that hair appointment. I was able to get my hair colored and trimmed this week, and I felt so much better afterward! Enjoy your weekend. :)

Mia said...

So glad you had a wonderful time at the missions conference! Sorry you've been sick, but glad you had a chance to rest up. :)

Susanne said...

It's a good thing to have our minds and hearts stretched when it comes to missions. Glad you enjoyed that conference.

My hubby is wonderful at fixing things too. It's a great blessing.

Barbara H. said...

The conference sounds great! I know what you mean about just not being able to go and do some days. I've come to the conclusion that rest is the best antidote for many ailments. I've known people to just keep on and on and on pushing themselves and prolong a bad cold or illness (and keep infecting everyone else!)

I'm glad for the medical care we have in this country but I've about had it up to my eyeballs with the medical community lately. My yearly physical generated 3 more appointments and trying to get that all coordinated around my m-i-l's care has been a pain, especially since a couple of them could not be made during the time I normally have someone with her because of the office's schedule.

It is nice to be able to touch base with old friends and pick up where we left off. Nice, too, to get a hair appt. in a timely manner. That's something I have trouble getting around to.

Willow said...

There is nothing better than having a dependable hair stylist :)
I'm glad you enjoyed that conference and also that you had some days off (sick day notwithstanding).
I hope those 'WD-40 injections' help.