Sunday, August 12, 2007

From the Beach to the Books

Tomorrow I start back to school. That's why this post is printed in black. :-)

This makes my twenty-eighth year in education as a teacher. That is a long time. I am an old battle-axe by now, like it or not! Since the fall of 1961, every year of my life has been defined by the back-to-school time of the year. That's almost sad. . .

I will be teaching chemistry this year and am not real excited about that. But somebody has to teach it, and since I've done it three times (though the most recent was eleven years ago) I'm the obvious person. Maybe it will be much better as we get into it. After easing mostly out of the sciences and into the English field over the past few years, this will be a big transition again. I'll have the same group of students, the juniors, twice a day. Chemistry 2nd and 3rd periods, and English last period of the day. 1st period will be eighth grade earth science, and 4th period will be senior English.

One bad thing about going to the beach the last week of summer vacation was that I didn't get ahead in my classroom as some years. So, although some teachers will go back tomorrow morning to a room that is completely ready to go. . .I won't be. Oh well. It always gets done by Friday night, one way or another.

p.s. I took the chemistry book to the beach. I brought it home from the beach. And that's all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be hard to open a chemistry book at the beach. :-)

Our kids school starts Friday, and teacher orientation is this week. We were joking with one of the older teachers that it seems she'd be pretty oriented by now and able to opt out. :-) Of all the teachers I talked to tonight, none of them said they were ready to go back yet, mentally. I not ready either for the transition from laid-back summer time to the busy-ness of the school year.

Anonymous said...

You can do!!! The experience of going through a "start up" will help you fold into the routine gracefully! Keep movin' forward!!!

Anonymous said...

Beach or no beach, the ball is in your court. You know how to make the most and the best of it.