Friday, August 3, 2007

Teenagers in the House

I've been thinking about the things I like - and don't like - about having teenagers in the house. It's a good stage of life in many ways.

++Teens are old enough to talk about many things on an adult level.
--Sometimes teens don't want to talk about many things on an adult level.

++I can send my son on errands in the car.
--My son wants to take the car. A lot. To spend money he doesn't need to spend.

++I can say "Please clean up the car," and it gets cleaned up well.
--I get into the driver's seat and all the controls have been adjusted.

++Teens can fix their own food, snacks, and drinks without bothering me to do it.
--Teens don't clean up like I would.

++I'm only going to have one, not both, with me at school this fall.
--We start to pay a college bill this fall.

++Teens love to have their friends over.
--Teens love to have their friends over.
(Actually, it's fine and I'm happy to host them. It was just funny to put it that way. As long as I have a laz-y-boy in my bedroom I can go to and read when they're out in the den, I'm glad they want to come here!)

Overall, I'd have to say. . .I enjoy the teenager years more than the toddler years!!! Although it would be nice to have a little one climb into my lap once in awhile. . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I experience many of the same things. :-) I do like that they are a little more independent, but no one has left the nest yet. I'm not looking forward to that day!

Anonymous said...

It seems there is good and bad about every time in our children's lives. As far as the teen years, I have 2 that are passed that and one not yet there. I just try to be thankful for the good of every stage. This is something I talk about alot on my own blog. My children are a big part of my life and will be no matter how old they are.

Anonymous said...

I remember you making a list of the ways an infant controls the house when they have so little control over themselves.

Ginger said...

Hello,
I just discovered a marvelous little book called Musings of a Mother by Doris C. Aldrich, when I googled it your blog came up. I just read your post about teenagers... I'm looking forward to those years. :)
Thanks for sharing!
Ginger