Saturday, July 5, 2008

The "Independent Voter"?

I've been thinking about the "independent voter" lately. It sounds so noble--as if a person is not tied down to any party, any candidate, but is "free" to vote what he thinks at the time of the election. (How typical of our society's thinking today.) Actually, a person who calls himself an "independent voter" is, in my opinion, either unmoored or very shallow in his values.

The differences between the two major political parties are real, are documented, and are extensive. The differences represent major opposites in philosophy of government and of life. These two parties are at extreme odds with each other. How in the world can a person say he can go in one direction or another, voting for the nominee he chooses at the time of the election, without betraying deeply held values?

I'm not talking about local elections, or even state ones. But our two national parties always select nominees who reflect their very different and very strong ways of thinking. I may disagree wholeheartedly with someone of the opposite political stripe, but I can respect him for holding to his principles. An "independent" who is proud of having no label does not engender that same respect.

Actually, the "independents" are probably far fewer than thought. Elections really boil down to how many of the philosophically-faithful a party can get out at election time. It's time for the (so-called) influence of the "independent voter" to no longer be given so much credit every four years.

2 comments:

Barry Cater said...

Couldn't agree more!

Anonymous said...

I understand what you are saying on the national level, but I think people don't want to commit to a party that may take a different stance than they would. For example, someone who likes the economic policy but not the war policy of W doesn't want to say they are a Republican. I think the lack of commitment is an indicator of our society. Also, people say they independent because they don't want others to think they are always going to vote for a particular party's candidate.

In 2004 I was amazed at a co-workers commenting about not knowing who to vote for. She said, "I hear something and think I'll vote for Bush, and then I hear something else and think I'll vote for Kerry." I just thought as you said that the philosophical differences are so great that I wondered how she could consider voting for one if she also considered the other.