Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fall Festival & Weekend

Friday night was the Fall Festival at school. Always a busy time, especially when I squeezed a play practice inbetween school and the 5:00 start of the festival. But when I only get the soccer players who are a part of the play for one or maybe two practices a week - they're making a run for the state tournament - I have to practice when we can, even if it is fall festival day.

My class was in charge of the dunking booth and the pillow fight. I always pity the people who volunteer to be in the dunking booth, but figure they asked for it. The beginning of the night isn't too bad, but when the sun goes down it gets really cold. . .also, it's gross to think of falling into a little column of water that fifteen or so other people have already been in. (Kind of like getting into bathwater after fifteen other people!) The pillow fight. . .I had to stay there all four hours except for an occasional break. Kids love it, and most of the time my juniors could have run it fine, but occasionally you get two kids in there that really have a score to settle, and it takes an adult to keep them settled & not get hurt. So I stayed really close by.

My juniors were fantastic about being where they were supposed to be when they were signed up to be there. That was a great help. Maybe I'll try to reward them this week - make rice krispie bars or something for them to eat at lunch.

The seniors had a wonderful maze - one of the best, from what I've heard from the people who went through it. This may be the last year for a traditional maze as we are just about out of refrigerator boxes, which are no longer being made. Mary Lee and her classmates had the usual good time that seniors have building a maze. She was gone most of the week working on it.

Yesterday I went into a cooking frenzy. Made hamburgers for Saturday lunch, then meatloaf, mandarin orange salad, and broccoli casserole ahead for Sunday lunch; then I made seafood salad and baked two cakes - one for Mike to take to Newberry tomorrow. I also fried shrimp for supper last night for Mary Lee and me. On a beautiful Saturday, when there is no place I have to go - for me that's a relaxing way to spend the afternoon. Especially when there are good football games to watch at the same time!

1 comment:

The Jordan's said...

I remember our senior year when we were in charge of the maze- what fun memories! I'm glad to have discovered your blog. I can keep up with you now!