Saturday, November 29, 2008

Saturday Night TV Show

My family thinks I'm so weird. I like to watch a TV show that comes on every Saturday night, on the all-flavors-included religious station in our area. There are always three people on it: a man bass guitar player, a woman pianist, and a woman preacher. The introduction is always the same, and the format is always the same: prayer, songs, sermon. I could probably quote the prayer as it never varies. The two women sing duets, and the man never says a word, just plays the bass guitar. The women's voices have seen better days (if voices can see). The pianist knows only one style - repetitious. Three chords repeated. Then the other woman preaches. Actually, I only watch a little of it; it's too much to take for very long.

But it reminds me of when I was a kid. The preaching-singing-lady sounds just like an old lady who used to sing in home meetings in rural places we held week after week. The songs are what we often sang at those home meetings. The whole set-up reminds me of the people who came to hold a service in the radio station immediately after my dad's Sunday morning fifteen minutes. The whole thing transports me, however briefly, to early 1970's rural north Alabama. I'm not weird; I'm just being carried to my past.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of the radio people too and the lady singing as I read your entry, and now I'm laughing. Thanks for transporting me as well.