Friday, December 19, 2008

Bittersweet

Today is the last day of school before Christmas vacation. Always a hectic day, I've learned to cope - I "sedate" them by showing them Mickey's Christmas Carol - the Disney version of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I can justify that since it has literary roots! And they love it. At 11:15 an all-school Christmas party with tons of food, and then. . .home to tackle Christmas!

But today has a touch of sadness too. It is the end of an era. Today is my long-time, long-admired, long-appreciated administrator's last day. He is entering a well-deserved retirement. But, even though I believe the new man will do a good job, it is very very hard to see my boss go. He is the caliber of man that one meets only a few of in a lifetime. Integrity, humility, concern, servanthood - He will be greatly missed.

2 comments:

rk2 said...

That kind of leader is a rare thing. You are blessed to have had him for so many of your years of teaching.

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to work with a man of Dr. Wilkin's caliber. In my mind, Br. John Wagler was one those
few men. Your mother