Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Winter Birds

I just took a walk down the street in the 35 degree temperatures and saw the birds out in full force. They are feeding as fast as they can before the sun sets and they go to roost for a long cold night.

Winter birds are fun to watch. They are much easier to see due to the bare branches. I saw several pine warblers for the first time in several years. There were also bluebirds in the neighbors' yard - a surprise because I don't usually see them in the winter. Cardinals are always a splash of color, and I could hear a flock of cedar waxwings in the trees (and see the flock as it flew away).

I haven't put out a feeder for several years due to the cat, but maybe chasing birds is more than she can do with her infirmity. I may put some seed out. With all the cold weather we've been having, there's a good chance that something unusual may have made its way further down from the north.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Hey Mrs. Bailes. I was wondering if you could send me Andrew's email address so I can make sure that we are both clear on what time we are supposed to meet to practice on Saturday. If you would email his address to me at meredithyarb@gmail.com I would really appreciate it! Have a wonderful week!