Sunday, June 14, 2009

Pastor Brown's Last Sermon

Today Pastor Brown, our assistant pastor who is going to a pastorate in Wisconsin, preached his last sermon at our church. He got up in the pulpit, and his first words, as he choked up, were, "Today we are here to magnify Christ." And that is what he did throughout his entire sermon, which was on the glory of God - a wonderful sermon, the best I've heard him preach. He was not the only person in the service who got a little choked up.

This past week I read where someone said "Too many preachers take the attitude of 'Behold me as I show you how to behold Christ.'" That has not been the attitude of Pastor Brown. Everything about his messages pointed to Christ, not to himself.

Pastor Brown has been the nuts-and-bolts man at our church for a long time. His servant spirit and attitude of humility have always been apparent. He will be greatly missed.

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

Paul Brown is a wonderful person and a great man of God. What a huge loss for Oakwood.

MLK said...

It is sad when when an outstanding role model moves to new environs. The vacuum left will be filled as God leads. Your description of Dr. Brown reminds me of Brother John Wagler, who greatly influenced your Dad and me--and I think you although for a lesser period of time.

Barry Cater said...

The book of Acts calls Barnabus "a good man". When I think of Paul Brown, I think of "a good man".