Saturday, July 25, 2009

Produce


I went to the Farmers' Market again this morning. The place was absolutely packed with both sellers and buyers, because we're at the peak season for fresh vegetables and fruits. I almost get carried away when going there.

The peaches this year are delicious. Every night I pack a fruit bowl for Mike to take to work because he really enjoys those peaches at 1:00 in the morning. Cantaloupe this year has been delicious too, though I usually get that at a produce stand run by a family that used to be affiliated with our school. The ones I buy are a little high, but it's worth it to get such good ones.

I got a small "Sugar Baby" watermelon today and also a small honeydew. I always get some tomatoes to supplement the few that are coming off my plants in the back yard.

About all I have been cooking for the past couple of weeks are salads for Mike or BLT sandwiches on rye bread or homemade bread from my mother. Sometimes the tomatoes are so big that you only need one slice.

The corn is about done. It is wonderful at the beginning of the season--so sweet and good--but toward the end the worms are so bad that it "eckles" me to shuck it. So even though there were several people selling it this morning, I didn't get any.

Happy Good Eating!

(the picture is from http://www.paystolivegreen.com/)

1 comment:

Nog Blog said...

Oh, the tomatoes. Last year there were just not any good ones here in Illinois, so I'm hoping for some big, red, juicy ones coming on soon. All of our crops are running late, as it was such a wet Spring.