Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Birds and Beavers

We saw several interesting things on our trip to Alabama. On the way to church Sunday morning Mike spotted a beaver dam, and later, in a ditch along the side of the road, several of us saw a night-crowned heron. You have to look fast!

While leaving that evening, crossing the Tennessee River, there was a huge flock of white birds circling above. I just assumed that they were seagulls since we have so many of those here in town (up the Savannah system and roost on Lake Hartwell in the winter). Mike said no, they weren't seagulls, and if there's one thing I've learned over the years it's to trust his instincts with wildlife observation. Sure enough, they did not act like seagulls. I looked at some pictures when we got back, and they were snow geese.

There were a lot of ducks along the backwaters all the way to Chattanooga. Just wish we could have stopped to identify some of them - there were many different kinds. It's been a long time since I've gotten a good look at ducks. Also saw a kingfisher on a wire; it's been a long time since I've seen one of those also.

2 comments:

rk2 said...

The night crowned heron was very cool. I would've just called it a big heron!

Lizupatree said...

ahhh.... how beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I could almost see them as you described them. :)