Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Piano Friend

I have been thinking much about my friend "Miss Joanna" today. She was the pianist at our church for many years, retiring about two years ago, and she and I have had many good times together over the past nineteen years, practicing piano duets, and sometimes piano quartets with two others. I have learned much from her as she is a wonderful pianist, especially for impromptu things. There is no one who has mastered more beautifully the art of improvisational playing. And she is always very flexible - always willing to accommodate others whenever possible. Most of all, she has a wonderfully humble spirit about her talent and accomplishments, and always deflects praise to others or to the Lord.

Yesterday her husband passed away. It was not unexpected; he has been sick for a long time. She was a devoted wife who took great care of him. I know she has probably been mentally prepared for this, and knows he is in a better place; however, it is still a very hard thing. And, even though she is older than I am, she is my friend, and she is on my heart today.

No comments: