Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring Break Buying and Selling

Well, I am having quite a time this spring break. While in the book room the other day at school, getting out achievement test booklets, I saw several new workbooks from a curriculum that we no longer use. Knowing that some of those sell like hotcakes on eBay, I asked the administrator if he'd be interested in my selling them under the same deal the previous administrator and I had - 50/50 split. (He's provided the merchandise, I've provided the time.) He was agreeable. So I've been listing on eBay and have the "itch."

That's because Mike bought me a book of Hummel pictures and a price sheet from the '60s. Which caused me to look at them on eBay again, and, probably because of the recession, if one looks closely enough can find some nice deals on Hummels. (Two years ago anything under $50 was rare.) So I want to make some "fun money" to spend!

Then. . .Had some china to get rid of and decided to try craigslist.com. Call me a believer now. Last night I met a lady in a public parking lot - she had cash in hand, and china and cash traded places. Much easier than trying to sell it on eBay or getting nothing for it at a yard sale.

AND. . .today I found an antique desk at a furniture store that is going out of business. It's in sad need of refinishing, but is solid and beautiful. No particle board anywhere. So Mike is meeting me there when he gets off work to look at it. The price is below right. I've needed a desk for some time - somewhere to pay the bills, put my stuff - and this would be a really nice piece of furniture, IF he agrees.

EDIT: No desk. He says it's too small and needs too much work!

2 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I hope the desk works out! It sounds nice.

I've been a little wary of craigslist from the standpoint of not wanting to drive hither and yon to exchange things, but if you have someone close to you, it would be much better than packaging something. I have some things I'd like to list -- I need to give ti a whirl.

Beth said...

I probably would have picked up the china! Was it blue and white?
I have more dishes than I'll ever need though, but I'm a sucker for them. I agree--it's fun to buy and sell!