Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Ups and Downs - Facebook Edition

I finally took the plunge about two months ago and tried Facebook, at the behest of an old friend who encouraged me to do so. It is a fascinating social phenomena. The following are the opinions of this blogger only!

UP - It's been a wonderful way to connect with old friends with whom I had lost contact - as well as another way to stay in contact with family members who live afar.

DOWN - Sometimes old friends with whom I had lost contact are just that; there is nothing in common anymore, and, therefore, getting into contact with them again is somewhat meaningless, pointless, and awkward.

DOWN - I get friend requests from people who weren't even old friends - some of them former students from years and years ago whose names I barely remember, and whose status updates are of no interest to me. It appears that some people just want to increase the size of their "friends" list.

UP - It's a nice way to stay in touch with people who are currently in my life. For example, I just sent out a large number of invitations to a luncheon next Tuesday, via Facebook private message. So quick, so easy to respond. Even easier than email.

UP - It's a good way to see people's pictures.

DOWN - Those games seem to be total time wasters.
-
UP - It's nice to know what people are doing when they post worthwhile updates, or to read their encouraging thoughts which some post from time to time.

DOWN - Some people seem to feel the need to let other people know, on a steady basis, the most mundane, the most unnecessary, and the most pointless things. I fully expect to see, sometimes soon, "Gone to the bathroom," or something even more explicit!

I have blocked many people's feeds, as well as many of the game feeds. The overall opinion: Facebook is like every other tool - can be used well or can be used negatively. I'm not going to throw it out just because so many people are addicted to it. But I don't want to be sucked up in it either.

3 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I am pretty much of the same opinion. At first it was so much fun to be "friended" by so many people, until you start getting all those updates. Like you say, some are interesting, inspirational, or informative, but some are mundane. I have a couple of people who regularly post what they're doing all through the day, what they're making for dinner, etc. I don't know, maybe someone in their family is interested in all that.

I stopped friending people so quickly, but I do feel bad when someone sends me a friend request that I ignore, like people I am involved with in a medical group who are mostly unsaved people. That seems to send a definite message that, "I am NOT interested in you at all." But it seems a little dishonest to friend them and then hide their updates, so I don't know which is better.

I have enjoyed FB for hearing more from people at church that I don't always cross paths with there and keeping in touch with relatives who rarely call or write.

Barbara H. said...

Oh -- and I do enjoy Scrabble and Word Twist on FB. :-) I play both with Bet regularly and with a few others sometimes. But Farmville and all that -- nah.

rk2 said...

This was my take on Facebook:

http://rkklop.blogspot.com/2010/05/i-have-only-68-friends.html

However, a game of Family Feud is kind of fun to chill out with. No Farmville or Mafia Wars for me either.