Thursday, August 26, 2010

Taking Pictures as Told By "Pearls Before Swine"

Pearls Before Swine
This was today's "Pearls Before Swine" comic strip. Occasionally this strip goes over the line, but most of the time it's a very funny commentary on numerous things. This cut and paste job may not be completely clear; I think if you click on it it will link to the website. Today's strip is humorously accurate in its point. For quite awhile I have noticed that girls today are very, very used to being in front of a camera lens and will readily mug for a camera. Since photography is all digital now, so many shots can be easily taken, uploaded, and deleted.

Perhaps I sound like a crotchety old woman, but "It wasn't that way in my day." With film cameras, people had to be cautious of how many pics they were taking since film, flashcubes, and developing all cost $$$. Therefore we weren't as used to posing before cameras. Oh, we still took plenty of pictures - however, just two or three of any pose instead of ten or twelve or more.

Last week at the school retreat I took a number of pictures and thought it interesting that the girls, at the sight of a camera, immediately put their heads together and smiled broadly, exactly like the above comic strip. It was obvious that they were quite used to posing for cameras, often, and they liked it.

Does this encourage vanity?

3 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I don't think so. Honestly I'd rather have that than try to take a picture and get hands covering faces or ducking or protesting.

Bet said...

I can't believe I'm disagreeing with Barbara! How rare is that?! But when I see a Facebook profile and notice that the person has 1,000+, sometimes 2,000+ photos of themselves, I'm amazed. I guess part of it is that I'm a bit camera-shy myself and can't understand people who love to have their pictures taken! I tend to think they're a little vain. Maybe that's a wrong response, but there it is!

Ann said...

Well, I can't believe I'm disagreeing with Barbara either. . .but I'm with Bet on this one!