Saturday, October 30, 2010

Political Independents

I voraciously read as much as possible having to do with the election. Guess it's in my K. genes.

I'm very glad the independents are breaking toward the Republicans this cycle - but have to wonder, How can someone with real moorings truly be an "independent" who might go either way? The two political philosophies are such polar opposites. It would seem that someone who has no problem switching from party to party from election to election must not have much basic grounding in core beliefs. To be pro-Obama in 2008 and anti-Obama in 2010 - or any other combination - independents must not look deeply or believe deeply. If they did they would be consistently on one side or the other.

1 comment:

rk2 said...

I thought the same thing in 2004 when I was sitting with a group of people and one asked who everyone was voting for: Bush or Kerry. One lady said, "One day I think Kerry and then I hear something the next day think Bush, then I hear something the next day and go back to Bush. Since I was new to the group I didn't say anything, but I thought "How if you are considering Kerry could you even begin to think Bush since they are from such different philosophical views.