Friday, October 22, 2010

Memory of a Play

The young man in all these photos is Joseph. He went to be with the Lord on Wednesday night, after collapsing on the track at a nearby high school. He was in the school play last year - the last one I directed, Meet Me In St. Louis. It was his first year, even though he was a senior, but he did a fine job. He played "John," the suitor of "Rose" who was the oldest sister in the play. "Rose" (her real name is Cathy) had to get very angry with "John," and actually slap him near the end of Act I. We practiced a fake slap (Andrew was a big help with learning how to do that) because Cathy couldn't bring herself to slap Joseph. I still remember with fondness how Joseph would say to her, "It's OK. I understand. I don't mind if you slap me."

Many memories like this will come to the forefront in the coming weeks.

"Rose" having to slap "John"

The last lines of the play, where everything is solved, and "Rose" and "John" are leaving for the World's Fair as "Grandpa" tells them goodbye.

Near the end of the play (I can't get the last two pictures to swap places) - "Rose" and "John" on the left.

Many people are affected in many ways by this sad event. But those of us who worked with Joseph in the play last year have our own set of memories.

2 comments:

Cindy Teel said...

Thank you, Ann, for posting these memories. I know that Joseph will be missed, but he touched so many lives. Cathy said she cried when she had to slap him.

Ashley said...

Thanks Mrs. Bailes for these pictures. Along with Jospeh's multiple talents, acting became one of them. He di such a great job! He was also one behind the stage, that made everyone laugh :). We'll see you soon Jo, "my best friend forever." :)