Saturday, December 11, 2010

Rants and Raves

A Christian leader whose blog I sometimes read occasionally posts what he calls a "rant." Well, maybe I can "rant" about some things and "rave" about some others, and get it out of my system. Call it a more intense post than an "ups and downs" one.

RANT: WHY do people not take crying babies/toddlers out of school and church programs? WHY do these people sit near the front to begin with? I've been to two programs in the past week that have been seriously impeded at times because of crying children. The main point of a lovely Christmas sketch done by some of our speech students in the program the other night was completely lost because a screaming child reached his top decibel at the same time the students reached the climax moment of the piece.

I understand that sometimes children have to be taken along. But when my children were little, we sat in the back. And more than once I think I may have almost suffocated one or the other, with my hand clamped over their mouths until I could get them outside of the program.

RAVE: I love getting out all my old painted ornaments from past years and putting them on the tree. There are a number of them done by ML as well. It's always a joy to see them again.

RAVE: I love it being the time of year when you can really see hawks on electric wires and other birds that are here for the winter. And the very cold temperatures we've been having bring them out even more.

RANT: Got to be careful here. Why is it that some of the same people who have urgent financial prayer requests, and who sometimes have to count on the goodness of other people for below-cost deals on, or to be outright given, major necessities - also seem to have the $$ to go to expensive programs and destinations?

RAVE: Along the same lines, I have great admiration for the people who go about their business quietly, making the best of what they have, being frugal, and not blathering all over other people about how tight their money is - and then they watch God provide their needs. It is a blessing to buy from people like that, or support them in any way possible.

RANT: And one last rant. From year to year, I'm used to our newspaper carrier leaving a card or letter around this time, thanking us for the privilege of serving us - hint, hint, please give me a tip for Christmas. But, our newest carrier left--a blank Christmas card and envelope with a business card inside! That takes a lot of chutzpah. Especially since he doesn't even put the paper in the provided box - just rolls it up and throws it on the driveway.

RAVE: Christmas vacation will be here in six days! If I think too much about how much there is to do before then, I get panicky. But maybe a week from now I can relax.

1 comment:

Ada said...

I quite agree with your "rants" and "raves" - but not really sure about the birds on the wires - never gave that much thought!! Definitely the noisy babies should be kept in the back of the church.