Thursday, May 31, 2012

An Ice Cream Sundae...

So Mike got a hankering tonight for ice cream, enough to go over to the Fruit Punch and order a treat.  He must really have wanted it badly because he even encouraged me to get something more than just a scoop.  So I got a hot fudge sundae, which I haven't had in a long, long time.  I took one bite - and was instantly transported more than forty years back in my life, to '60s and early '70s summers, and Aunt Louise's trips to The Whip ice cream stand in Princeville, IL.  Something like that required a double cajoling - first just  to get Aunt Louise to take us to The Whip, and secondly to get a hot fudge sundae instead of just a cone.  Sometimes she was an easy target and other times she could stand firm.  But the taste of one of those sundaes is something that stayed in my memory for. . . over forty years.

Sometime this summer I'll try to post more about Aunt Louise, Aunt Hulda, and Grandma Hemmer.  All were very special women in my life as well as  to my siblings and cousins.  I'll also post something about Grandma K., who was equally as memorable on the other side of the family.

2 comments:

rk2 said...

Things must have been better in the later years because I remember getting butterscotch sundaes. Do you remember when The Whip moved from down the street at the curve going into "downtown" to several blocks away making the walk almost double. I'm pretty sure we drove then.

Great memories. Thanks for sharing.

Ann said...

Thanks Rho - I do remember. All I ever wanted was hot fudge. :-)