Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Divisions of Summer

Summer always seems to be in three sections for me.

  • The first part is the "ahhhhh" phase - from the end of the school year until ML's birthday, June 5.  It's the feeling of - I can't believe it's over; all I want to do is relax.  However, there is still a little bit of residual adrenalin from the school year, which makes me want to clean cabinets, de-clutter, and get a lot done.  That feeling usually fades quickly.
  • The time period from June 5 to July 4.  This is the true summer feeling.  School has receded from my memory; I do get things done, but it's summer also, and I enjoy the lack of pressure of having papers to grade and mental preparation to accomplish for each day.
  • Then--July 4 to the end.  This used to be just part of the previous section, until a former colleague ruined it for me.  Yes, ruined it.  One day when I was buying something in her business, it was about that time when she said, "Oh, yes, I remember the teaching days.  Summer is great until July 4th.  And it's all downhill from there.  Well, that's how it feels, ever since.  All downhill!!
This year will be different, with my trip starting in two weeks.  This year is pre-trip, trip, and post-trip.  Prepare, travel, and recuperate.

And tomorrow is ML's birthday.  So, according to the usual division - the ahhhh phase is almost over.  Next thing I know, it will be time to go back.  Or so it feels.

No comments: