Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday's Fave Five, 1/22/16


LINK to Friday's Fave Five Host Blog

1. A snow day today!!  Always a treat.  Throughout all the forecasts of the past couple of days, we have been right on the border of the line between frozen precipitation and cold rain.  So I cautioned the students not to be surprised if we did have school today.  I thought it would be more of a situation of coming in and then being dismissed early.  So it was a pleasant surprise, after my alarm went off at 5:40, to see our school name come up on the local news website, and then get a phone message five minutes later as well, saying that we were CLOSED today.

2. Mike's training test for work was postponed, so he was home most of the day also.  (He didn't find out until he drove 45 minutes to the training center at work.  Naturally. . . .)  He went outside and cleaned up all the feeders and refilled them, as well as pruned the bush that was right in front of the picture window, so that we could see all the birds that were feasting at the sunflower and suet feeders.  We had quite the day at the feeders - at least 15 species made their way to our "banquet."  One was a first for the year, and there was also one mysterious bird that we couldn't quite identify.  It looked like a female purple finch, but we haven't had one of those here for years, so I'm hesitant to say that that is what it was.

3. A new twist on banana bread.  :-)  I only had one banana but the recipe called for two.  So I added a half a cup of orange juice and used orange flavoring instead of vanilla.  It was deliciously moist and deliciously flavorful!

4. Wednesday night I had nursery duty at church.  Only one little girl was there (we had bad weather then also), and she appeared to be "wide open."  I anticipated an hour of chasing her around as she crawled all over the nursery carpet.  But she came right to me, sat in my lap as I looked at a book with her, and I could feel her relaxing.  Sure enough, she dropped off into a 45-minute nap while seated in my lap.  It was so pleasant to hold a sleeping 10-month-old, sucking her thumb, that what could have been a "one more thing to do this week" experience turned into a sweet and restful hour.

5. A warm and dry house during a snow/ice/freezing rain weather event.  Perhaps we all need to stop and be more thankful for that.  Meanwhile, I am very much enjoying the enforced break at home!

7 comments:

Schotzy said...

As a retired teacher I so understand the thrill of a snow day... Nice long weekend... That banana (orange) bread sounds yummy.....

Faith said...

as a teacher I totally get the snow day thing! yay for you! here in my eastern part of NY ( we are 3 hrs north of NYC) we have NO snow. in fact we have only had one inch all winter here in my town althpugh the mountains have about a foot. sooo different from last winter!

so glad your nursery duty turned out to be a restful experience.

enjoy the weekend!

Karen said...

I'm glad you got to enjoy a snow day. And that banana bread recipe sounds divine. A sleeping baby is a blessing indeed!

Barbara H. said...

We got 4" earlier in the week and were supposed to get another 4 today but only ended up with maybe an inch. Snow days usually mean more work for me as most of the caregivers we've had for my husband's mom are too afraid to drive in on snowy or icy days. :-(

I meant to refill the bird feeders before the snow but forgot. I've seen the birds at intervals pecking around the grass. The snow earlier in the week started melting off pretty quickly and today I can see a lot of little patches of grass poking through. I'll have to get out there before the next "weather event."

I was thinking of your #5 as I climbed into bed the night we got the 4". I felt bad for people who don't have that - but don't know what to do for them at a time like that except pray.

LivingforGod said...

15 species...so cool! I love birds. Yes, we have so much to be thankful for! I'm reminded to pray for the homeless whenever it's cold outside.

Have a blessed day in the Lord!

Susanne said...

Wow, I would so much enjoy watching all those different types of birds outside my window! Stay nice and warm and safe this weekend!

Willow said...

I'm glad you got your snow day! Are you having another one today?
Holding sweet sleeping babies would make my fave list too :)
Wow, all those birds! What fun it would be to watch them feast at the banqueting table.