LINK to Friday's Fave Five host blog
1. After running a fever and having a mild cold, and also Mike being sick with a cold for several days, we're both back on our feet, and he happened to be off when he was sick. That's always nice--hard to be sick when you've got to work.
2. A feeling of success in the classroom this week. I have a very enthusiastic group of sophomores - they love learning. That's a delight to begin with. This week we finished the literature of the ancient Greeks - the Odyssey, Antigone, etc. - and they were disappointed!! But they know the Romans and Julius Caesar are next, and they can't wait until we finish the grammar unit, get through the teachers' convention next week, and then come back to read that lit. They've already got plans to have a lunch after finishing that unit - they want to order Little Caesar's Pizza and eat Caesar salad! It's really a challenge, a good one, to teach a group like that.
And my junior class is covering Objectionable Elements in Literature. I love to see a group think seriously, and hopefully get something useful for life, from a discussion like that.
The seniors are doing Great Expectations, and appear to be enjoying it. They're following closely and staying with me as we make progress each day. And my eighth and ninth grades--both bright groups, both hard-working groups, and have been great to teach so far.
Sometimes I think it's time to hang it up - and then weeks like this make me think, Stay at it!!
3. Gratitude for a hard-working husband. He works so hard at his job and has been a great provider. But when he's off and I'm working, I come home to hear things like "The sheets are back on the bed - I washed them today" and "I went to the dump today, so the smelly trash is gone." I appreciate him so much.
4. The computer crash that wasn't. My school computer died yesterday in the middle of the day. (Fortunately, I had just backed it up last week.) I thought it was gone. The computer guy figured out it was only the battery. Easily fixed!
5. And finally - this. We went to get something to eat at our favorite place yesterday, where the manager is our neighbor. At the end of our meal, the server told us that the pumpkin cake was really good - but we resisted. And then - our friend and neighbor, the manager -- brought us a piece on the house. So what do you do?!! This is not our piece, but is a picture of the actual cake, pulled off the website of queencitypastry.com, which is the bakery where the restaurant purchased it from. Oh, it was so good. Just what I didn't need, but worth it!!