Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Good Earth by Pearl Buck

The Good Earth (House of Earth, #1)The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Easy to see why this is considered a classic. Written in an older style (since it is early 20th century) and character driven, but with a plot that follows it throughout - the place of the land in the life of Wang-Lung and what will happen to it and him.

Yet another book that shows that truth is "written on our hearts" even when Bible principles are not part of a culture. Wang Lung's life had struggles but was going well until he takes a prostitute in his home. The principle remains - we reap what we sow, and Wang Lung did just that. Many unfortunate incidents in this book, mostly due to the choices of the characters. There are objectionable elements but they are handled without being gratuitous or explicit.

I enjoyed Pearl Buck's writing style, but I appreciate books with understated plots and greater character development. I also enjoyed this because of having read one of her short stories in the past ("The Frill") with my sophomore literature students, which also reveals great details of the people and their lives. She obviously intimately knew the culture about which she was writing. I found this book to be a learning experience as much as an entertaining one.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Barbara Harper said...

I don't think I have ever read anything by Buck. I see this one come up when I am searching for classics, but so far haven't looked into it. Thanks for the review!