Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Maybe a little mouse is in the house?

Food is evaporating around my house. Or maybe it's a mouse? Or maybe. . .Andrew is home from college?

Last summer he was still in the thrills of having a paycheck. My offers to pack him a lunch on workdays were met with disdain.

This summer, with gas prices what they are, he's realized that maybe eating Mama's food is a good bit easier on the back pocket than eating out. So. . .he lets me pack him a lunch, he lets me fix him eggs for breakfast before work, he's home for supper just about every night, he gets his snacks from the pantry.

All of which is good for his budgeting process, an area of his life that has not been highly refined up until now. However, it is disastrous on my food budget! That's OK--I'll take that hit to have him at home. I did have to tell him to cut back on the milk. Two weeks ago he/we went through THREE gallons in a week! That had to slow down.

Mary Lee doesn't really eat a whole lot most of the time. Occasionally she goes on a hunger jag and fills up for a few days. But she's gotten very nutritious in her choices. And when it's just her here, we don't really cook too much. Quite a difference from this summer.

No comments: