Monday, June 9, 2008

To Expand. . .

To expand and clarify last night's post:

My teenagers love to have friends over. I'm glad that they like to invite people and I'm glad that people apparently like to come. But it's bothered me that so often the only thing they can think of to do is "watch a movie."

"Mom, can we have friends over to watch a movie?"

I'll say. . ."Why don't you play volleyball" or "Why don't you play Taboo" or "Why don't you swim?" But the least common denominator is always. . ."Let's watch a movie."

From what I understand, this is not the only household where that is the norm.

It bothers me on many levels. There is no physical activity involved. There is less opportunity for conversation. There is always the possibility of objectionable materials in today's movies. Their minds are numbing and dumbing down through all this movie watching. It's just such a passive way for friends to be together.

I like a good movie occasionally as much as the next person. (Chick flicks please, no horror or action stuff.) But today's kids (and adults for that matter) are just too used to gluing their faces in front of a screen.

I didn't care for the movie they had rented last night, and spoke up. So that's how the game playing started. And it was fun, and they had a great time. Three cheers for a non-movie night!

1 comment:

Bet said...

I agree, Ann! I love to play games--and the conversation is the fun part. Hard to do when you're watching a movie.