Thursday, June 12, 2008

I, Me, My

It is impossible, and even undesirable, to write a personal blog or a personal anything without ever using personal pronouns. However, my father has drilled into his children from childhood that we should be conscious of how often we use these words in correspondence and writing, and should minimize their use--and I have used the concept in teaching English classes as well. Lately I've become conscious of this phenomenon again, partly due to some reading for a study. For example, here is one of the statements in the book:

"I don't know how many times I've repeated the statement I'm about to make, but I'll keep saying it. . ."

Or: (leaving some words out to maintain anonymity)

". . .I realize I am far from the only. . .(10 words). . .Although I would never characterize myself as godly, I will tell you that I loved God. . .(13 words). . .I know plenty of others whom I would not hesitate. . ."

This author desperately needed an editor to cut out what comes across as self-centeredness.

I will be forever grateful to Dad for pointing this out!!

Now anyone who reads this blog will be watching to see how self-centered the author is!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it has to be taken into context -- there are many passages where Paul refers to himself a lot, but in the larger context he's not being self-promotional at all.

But generally speaking it's good to watch out for that kind of thing.

Nog Blog said...

I think I would worry if I used "I" so much that I would look like I was promoting myself when I would never think that I am that important!