Saturday, July 19, 2008

Books & Bookcase, continued:

Several months ago I posted about the bookcase Mike had painted for me for my birthday. It really isn't as pink as it looks in these photos--it's a little darker than that. But here is the finished product filled with the books that I've had stored in my closet for a long time. And below: These are two things that are precious to me. On the left is my collection of Cherry Ames nurse books. I owned about three or four originally. When Mike and I had been dating for a few weeks, we visited Aunt Frances' store here in Anderson, the Bee Hive. She had about half a dozen of them, which I exclaimed over. Unbeknownst to me, she wrapped them up and Mike gave them to me later that night for a birthday present. Then, several years later, after Mike's dad found out that I liked Cherry Ames books, he put together a large quantity of them, finding them on some of his "ramblings," as a gift for me.

On the right are the two Hummel-style figurines that I painted in Aunt Louise and Aunt Hulda's basement in the '70s. Details about that experience will be another post someday.
Elisabeth Elliot books. Her writings were especially influential on me during the college years, and on through adulthood also. There are a couple of Tozer books on the right--he is powerful.
Loula Grace Erdman books. Don't really know how I got started on her. She wrote in the '40s and '50s, not particularly "Christian" fiction but all of her books have positive moral and Christian themes. She is particularly good at characterization, which I've always preferred in fiction more than plot.
And that is my bookcase!

4 comments:

Bet said...

I love your bookcase! and I remember enjoying Cherry Ames books too! Neat collection.

Anonymous said...

I see an EE book I didn't know about - "Secure in the Everlasting Arms." Just this week as Whit left for the Philippines I remembered your giving me "Shadow of the Almighty" when I went to Antigua for the first time. I wanted to find a copy to give to her but my books are still packed away.

Barry Cater said...

Beautiful Book Case! I too enjoy reading Tozer.

Anonymous said...

Elisabeth Elliot's books were great influences on me, too. I've not heard of Erdman -- will have to look her up.

I tagged you for a meme today. :-)