Sunday, August 3, 2008

Reading and Reading!

Well, I have been reading voraciously lately. That's one advantage to being a little under the weather and not really feeling well enough to do much else. It's also something I'd better do this week as. . .school starts for me next Monday. I don't usually read much fiction but have consumed three novels in the last few days, and two of the three were really, really good reads. Will share more in detail about them in the next couple of posts.

I've also found a website called Faithful Reader that has wonderful book reviews, and one reviewer in particular, Marcia Ford, who has very similar thoughts to mine about books. For instance, about one author who wrote one particular novel that I thought was better than her previous things I'd read, Marcia Ford comments on an award the book won, "It's certainly the best, or among the best, from [this author] and the accolades it has received should encourage her to maintain the higher standard she set for herself with this book."

But the neatest thing was what happened when I finished a book this evening called The Mending String by Cliff Coon. After finishing the book and then reading the acknowledgements, he thanks the members from his writing critique group - and one of my old roommates from college, a good friend over the years, was mentioned! I'm sure it's her because he lived in the same town. She's been interested in writing for sometime, but I didn't realize she'd gotten her name into something put out by Moody Press! My claim to fame!

No comments: