Friday, October 17, 2008

Energy

About a year ago a friend who knew of my fatigue issues suggested I get my hemoglobin checked at a doctor's appointment the next day. I did so and found out my hemoglobin was 9 (normal is 12-15). Of course he immediately put me on high doses of iron, which I still take though the dose is lower now.

Looking back, I can see how the decline took place over several years. I remember two years ago being rejected from giving blood due to slightly low hemoglobin, and being surprised that that was the case. And six months before my discovery, our school was at the Wilds for school camp, and I could not climb the steps. Not being in the greatest of shape I chalked it up to that, but down deep knew that it was more than that. It wasn't that walking up the steps was difficult - I simply couldn't do it. I was even breathless when walking down the hallway or up just a few steps somewhere. Now it makes sense - Low iron means low hemoglobin which means that oxygen can't bind to the red blood cells which means the cells can't operate properly. No wonder I was breathless and couldn't function well.

After about six weeks on iron I started to feel some better--at least could function better. But now, a little over a year later, I'm really seeing the difference. A hole that is being dug for years takes quite awhile to fill back in. And having a reasonable amount of energy again is a wonderful thing. People tell me now that they knew I looked worn out then and can see the difference now. It's funny how someone like me who likes to keep up on medical things did not sense the difference or figure out what was wrong.

Anyway, ladies who read this blog - Get your iron level checked!

No comments: