Sunday, November 2, 2008

Impromptu Church

This morning in Spanish Church, Pastor Martinez came over at one point and asked if I could play #174. He sometimes decides to teach the people a new song, and so I figured that's what it was. When I told him yes, I could play that, he walked to the podium, and it immediately became clear that he was doing it as a special number! So I changed gears and accompanied him. After the first verse I realized there was a note he was hitting that was different from how it was written in the book, so the last two verses I tried to figure out how to hit enough notes, keep it in the right chord structure, but not hit that one note so that it would not sound sour. And it worked out fine. I believe the people were blessed by it.

I like impromptu church! In some ways it's much better than when everything has to be properly rehearsed, written out ahead of time, and done according to a certain order. It also reminds me of my teen years, when Dad would start singing a song, and I would be expected to figure out the song, what key he was singing it in, and start playing. It was the best training I could have ever gotten. And it sure came in handy this morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be scary to me! But then, I don't play. It is a great talent to be able to jump in and adjust like that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann--

Way back in July I stumbled across your blog while searching for an old book, and I ended up recommending "Reluctant Angel" by Ennen Reaves Hall. Just this morning I found my way back to that page and saw that you had ordered the book, so now I have to ask--what did you think? :)