Saturday, November 1, 2008

Saturday Morning

I'm home alone today - everyone is at work or college - and so left home at 7:10 a.m. and went yard saling, grocery shopping, and even clothes shopping (not my favorite thing to do). This fall has been very productive for me for finding costumes and hats for our play at school. It's set in 1900, and though we'll not be exactly accurate (can't be with the budget I've got!) we will be close with all the yard sale finds I've gotten. Have also found some silk flower bouquets, which the girls in my speech class have been rapidly dismantling and using to dress up the yard sale hats.

One thing that yard saling does is give me a peek into average American culture today. I grew up in a conservative home, and have maintained a conservative home myself, so much of what America reads and watches is foreign to me and my family. It is distressing to see the number of unworthwhile books, some of which are simply mindless but many are downright trashy, that are often out at yard sales. And the videos and DVDs. I cannot imagine exposing young people to the absolutely awful fare, of many types of objectionable elements, that people are apparently paying good money to buy and watch in their homes.

I also meet many interesting people. There's a certain group of people that go out many Saturday mornings who soon grow to recognize each other and say hello each week. Sellers come in every stripe, but most are very friendly. I enjoy doing this and find it to be a very relaxing and fun thing to do each week - especially now that I no longer seem to be able to sleep past 7 a.m.!

1 comment:

An Aldersgate Disciple said...

I'm so glad you're getting costumes for our play though!