Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas Vacation is Over

Christmas and Christmas vacation are essentially over. I've been working at the kitchen table for several hours, putting things away, wrapping up paperwork and paying bills. I think all the Christmas things are put away. Mary Lee is exchanging shoes for me and Andrew has gone to get food for a College and Career fellowship we'll have here tomorrow night. (Since vermicelli and french bread are both buy one get one free this week, don't you think spaghetti would be a good thing to serve?)So it's a wind-down sort of day.

My folks always give their children a little $$ at Christmas that I call my "fun money." It goes for clothing or anything else I want, and I make it stretch - sometimes most of the year! I have wanted a triangular pie server for years, and a rubber spatula, and I always like new dishtowels, so got all of that last week, as well as several pairs of shoes. (Sounds pretty mundane, I know, but hey - it's me.) I love the fun money from Dad and Mom!

A couple of other things:

My Christmas present. It might not seem like a very romantic gift, but if you could have heard the sounds the old one (20+ years) was making, you'd know that life is much quieter and nicer around here now!

The blanket I made Mike for Christmas. He's taken quite an interest in the Gamecocks the past two years. Fleece is so easy to work with - it doesn't take long to sew up, and it makes a wonderfully warm blanket.

4 comments:

Ada said...

Hey Ann. I laughed at your wanting a pie server. Everytime the kids are home and I have a desert to serve, I say "sure wish I had a pie server instead of this square one that just makes a mess" and Angela always says "why don't you just get one!" I think you've just inspired me to go get one. Problem is, I won't think of it again until next time I have pie to serve! --Ada

Anonymous said...

A dishwasher is a great gift! We depend on them so much, it's a pain when they're showing signs of running down.

I always have mixed emotions about vacation being over -- glad in one way, wistful in another.

From the Front Porch said...

I'm not so sure about that blanket. Shouldn't it be orange :)? Love reading your blog. Happy new year. I should post something soon....one of this days!

Ann said...

I hear you, Carrie--I've got mixed feelings myself! Throw in that "Roll Tide" background from my childhood and I'm really conflicted!