Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Northern Harrier

Yesterday while coming home I saw a northern harrier on a fence, watching for food. Darkness was approaching and it probably wanted one more meal before a cold night. This is a beautiful winter hawk - I've never seen one in the summer and only rarely at other times. This is not my picture - I did take it off the internet. You can't really see its beautiful tail in this direction.

About three years ago I saw a northern harrier, flying low with its characteristic V-shape, over a large field bounded on three sides by roads near our house. It sailed to every part of the field looking for food, and it was beautiful to watch. I think of that natural and beautiful sight almost every time that I park in the asphalt lot of the grocery store that now covers that field.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing that you recognize so many birds. We finally got a bird feeder but the birds seemed to boycott it for awhile. Now that they've discovered it,keeping the feeder full is a challenge. Today we got an additional feeder and some thistle seeds per Ed Suttor's (snowbird friend headed through here last week)suggestion. Next will be sunflower seeds. What can we do to keep the greedy sparrows away?
Did you know that a purple finch is orange and not at all purple--at least at this time of year in Alabama.

Anonymous said...

I saw some kind of hawk kill a blue Jay the other day like a yard away from me. It was interesting...

Anonymous said...

I don't see how you know it's a harrier and not just a hawk. So maybe some of those birds that I think are hawks are really more impressive names.