Friday, February 27, 2009

WILDS trip

My daughter and her good friend.
I took on a young man in chess. Hadn't played for probably ten years but it was fun. He won, but I gave him a run for his money. Probably half a dozen boys clustered around to "help" me. Actually, I did need their help - it's been a long time.

The Wilds fun time at its usual best.

Big Ball Volleyball is always a lot of fun.

Thoughts:
-
This a great trip for seeing students at a different level - and for students to see us at a different level. Fortunately our new administrator sees, like the other one did, that for the sponsors/teachers it is a combination of connecting with students and also having fellowship with each other. We participate some, but also just watch, and even sneak off to the sponsors' lounge sometimes just to get away. I played miniature golf with some students, played chess as shown above, played "Gazeeball" (once I got into the structure where you play it, it was fine), played foosball, and spent a lot of time in the snack shop/game room area just talking with kids who were having fun.
-
The main man who does the preaching for school camps gets better every time we go. He really knows how to hit heart issues with teenagers.
-
Getting alone overlooking a mountain creek at the Wilds is just as good for thinking things through as it was however many years ago when I used to work there.
-
It's a great trip but it's always nice to come back to my own bed when it's over.

No comments: