Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pics from Mike's Family History

Mike's cousin Liz just sent us a number of family pictures from the family history. I'll not post them all, but these were too nice to pass up.

Mike's Grandmother Lee as a young lady, around the turn of the century. Wasn't she beautiful?

Mike's grandparents (the Lees) at their daughter's wedding (Mike's Aunt Cathie). Mike never knew his grandfather (really either one, just like me) but he has fond memories of Grandmother Lee coming from Michigan to visit them. She was especially known for her coffee cake! (The recipe is very similar to the one which is known in my family.)

Mike's Aunt Cathie, his grandfather Benedict Lee, and his mom, at Cathie's wedding.

I wish there was more of this family history passed down, not just from Mike's family, but in society at large. One of the difficulties today is that so many people are so rootless - they don't really know where they came from, who their predecessors were, who is their extended family. That's why I'm glad for these pictures. I'm also glad that that was really important in my own family, and that we know much about our history. My dad has done extensive work in that area, and it's important work. But many people don't have that blessing, and it's a shame.
-
If you're reading this - Cousin Liz, thanks for sending all these pictures to us.

3 comments:

Lizupatree said...

Ann, I am so delighted that I've found someone to share them with that cherishes the photos and the stories as much as I do!

Barbara H. said...

Re the reading meme, if you’re doing just a general post about what you’re reading, you don’t need to link to the meme originator. But if you’re using their format, button, title, etc., then you do.

This particular one occurs the last Thursday of every month.

Love family history photos!

Lizupatree said...

I look at that photo of a young Genevieve Maurer (later Lee) and see sooo much of the beautiful Bailes girls in that photo of her!