Monday, June 1, 2009

My Son the Camp Counselor

Andrew starts counseling today, after a week of training. He called today since he now has to turn off his phone for the week. I think that's good - campers' parents aren't paying for the counselors to be talking or texting on the phone all week long.

He is going to have juniors this week, including some inner-city youngsters. This is going to be an educational summer for him in many ways! A summer of camp is a good experience - for the counselor.

I learned much about myself the summer that I did it - and not all of it was pretty. I learned that a counselor is a servant who puts his campers' needs above his own. I learned that if a toilet needed to be cleaned, I was not too good to do it. I learned that some campers have needs that I cannot solve and that much has to be taken to the Lord for wisdom. Much prayer is needed also for physical and mental strength.

This morning we mailed him some shirts he needs, and found out that FedEx is about half the cost of the USPS. Didn't know that. The box was $10 FedEx and would have been $22 USPS. Whew - big difference!

1 comment:

Barry Cater said...

Great for Andrew! I hope he has a great summer. I did this one summer myself, he will learn as much if not more than the campers.

Just watch out for practical jokers!