Sunday, November 15, 2009

Church Nursery

For the past six months I've been helping out in the church nursery during the Sunday school hour each week. I love it. The Toddler-I children come to that room when they are good walkers (usually). Sometimes individual children are moved in and out depending on their own time frames rather than the usual guidelines. One boy who's not walking at all, but can crawl like a pro -- on his knees no less! -- has been moved on up to Toddler I because he's much happier in there. (To say that he's been unhappy in the infant room is an understatement.)

Anyway, I've had much opportunity to observe these little ones - both regulars and guests - and it is always interesting to watch their behavior. Little boys automatically go for the trucks and anything that rides or makes noise. Little girls go straight for the dolls. One little girl - barely walking, only a little over a year old at the time - spent fifteen minutes lovingly wrapping and unwrapping a doll in a flannel blanket. The gender differences are huge even at that young age.

A couple of Wednesday nights ago one of these little girls, not yet two years old, was walking with her father when she caught sight of me and waved. I like being in a role that causes even little ones to feel comfortable at church and to know that someone there cares about them.

No comments: