Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Some Misc.

--Last night at GREAT EXPECTATIONS, in the preview video, the director made mention of the themes of the play, of which one of the main ones is that Pip discovers that wealth does not satisfy. More and more I see that it is so true that a great work of literature has a theme that is based on that which is "written on men's hearts" - the truths that all men know down deep, even if they are not Christians and do not even acknowledge moral truths outwardly, yet know intrinsically. It's true of writers and it's true in life.

--Supper tonight with a dear friend. One of the most uplifting things in the world is to spend an hour with a friend who encourages your heart and always has!

--Saw my son on stage and didn't get to see my daughter last night. Somehow my email, reminding them both that I would be at their college, didn't go through. I texted my daughter and asked if she was close by - she responded "Close by to where? I'm eating supper." Then we had to go into the play, so I didn't get to see her. My son played his second role of an old man who has to use an ear horn to hear (the first was early in high school). He'd better watch out - he's going to get typecast!

--Had a forward today from a good teaching buddy from BJJH (he was also in the play last night) - some of my students from years ago are teaching their own children at home with some of the same verbal memory aids we used in life science in the '80s, and they wrote about it on Facebook. Brings back wonderful memories!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Had to laugh when I saw that! Somebody told me about your blog over the weekend, and I had to come check it out. I love memories of your classes and all the funny things you used to say. They really did cement the facts into our heads! Sadly, the Smithsonian has not called to get my science notes yet. Maybe someday....

Barbara H. said...

That's too bad that you missed seeing your kids -- I know you would have loved even a few minutes.

Jesse went Monday night, too. The literature he brought home made me want to go!

I'm off to have lunch with a good friend today -- we've been trying to get together for months.