Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"Do You Want to See My Office?"

Today at the teachers' luncheon at our administrator's house (his wife made lasagna for 40 from scratch! With five kiddos running around!), his 3rd grade daughter, my buddy, said "Do you want to see my office?" I was a little taken aback and at first thought maybe "my office" was another name for the playroom. We did go through the playroom, but yes, she has an "office"! In the furnace area, under the stairs to the lower level, her dad has created a little desk/bookshelf area that is, as she told me gravely, "just for me - nobody else can come in here." It has its own doorway - three-quarter-size so that someone like me has to bend down to get in. He even wrapped all the ductwork in pink plastic so that it looks girly! She has painted it herself, and created her own drawings on the walls.

I felt honored to be invited in.

5 comments:

Barbara H. said...

An honor indeed! That sounds so sweet.

LynnK said...

That is neat to say the least. How sweet!!!

SturgillMom said...

She LOVED having you in her office :) She has four siblings and a dad that would love to claim that office and be able to lock out everyone else and hide :) Sometimes I fear that when I have just gotten on to her, that she runs to her office and writes "I'm mad at my mom!" all over her walls :)

Ann said...

You mean that Mom doesn't claim that office and be able to lock out everyone else and hide also? :-)

I didn't see "I'm mad at my mom" written on any of the walls. She must have gotten over it.

Betty West said...

Right after I arrived, she took me on a tour of her office and bedroom as well. She bragged on her dad's work of building the desk and bookshelves. He is very talented and a great dad and administrator! I'm excited that she is going to be in MY class this year!